- Install your handlebars.
- Install your brake levers.
- Install your shift cable housing.
- Optionally, install your brake cable housing.
- Begin wrapping your bar tape, at least a couple turns. This is important
because the shifters also function as your bar tape plugs, and going back
to install this later will require you to uninstall things.
- For each shifter:
- Insert the plug assembly into the bar-end.
- Ensure the plug secures the bar tape.
- Ensure the bar tape doesn't obstruct the hole through which the shift
cable will be pulled.
- Tighten the plug assembly by turning the hex bolt in its center
counter-clockwise. This is a little counter-intuitive, so consider
doing it outside of the bar-end a couple times for understanding.
- Slide the rectangular post through the hole in the plug assembly.
- There should be a ring which sites between the plug assembly and the lever
assembly. It will have a square indent on the plug assembly side, and a
ring indent on the lever assembly side. There should be notches on each
side which ensure there is only 1 correct orientation for its installation.
Put it on and don't fuck up.
- Add the lever assembly. Again, there should be 1 correct orientation to
interface with the ring. Don't fuck up.
- Tighten the torque bolt into the lever assembly until the lever assembly
can no longer pivot.
- Loosen the torque bolt by about 180 degrees, or until the lever assembly
can once again pivot.
- If your rear derailleur shifter has an indexed mode, then set it to indexed
mode and loosen the torque bolt until you can shift into each position.
- Finish your bar tape.
- Install your shift cables.