- Relationships: I've managed to spend plenty of quality time with friends and family since I last wrote. My wife and I finally took our honeymoon in northern Michigan, which was fantastic and gorgeous and liberating and gave ample opportunities to connect and explore. This past weekend I attended Beer City Code and got to strengthen relationships with Lansing software folks and meet plenty of new people. While I was in GR I snuck in some time with a cherished friend and his lovely fiancee. Overall, my personal relationships are going really well!
- Career: I've spent some time working on a machine learning project which does log anomaly detection. It's given me a great opportunity to brush up on my Python and GNU Make skills, to learn a bit about unstructured log parsing algorithms such as SPELL and Drain, and to learn a lot of hard lessons in Rust while writing a CLI for the spell-rs SPELL implementation. Plus, I got to contribute a minor fix to the project! This is going pretty well as well!
- Health and Longevity: I wanted to keep up some cardio and leg fitness while we were on our honeymoon so I tried running for the first time in like a decade and oh BOY did that kick my ass. It really worked that stabilizer muscle in my knee, so I think that means I have to keep doing it now. In other news, I've finally got my favorite bike back in shape! It still needs a new cassette and a bit of fine tuning of cables but it's riding beautifully. And I've made a lot of progress on a couple friends' bikes as well.
- Financial Independence: We're a little bit ahead of our financial schedule this month, and we even have some money left over from our honeymoon fund to put toward our next goal!
Leave Work on Time
My average time at work's come down quite a bit since I last wrote. I'm gonna stay the course here.
- Trigger(s): Computer and phone reminders at 4:00pm, computer and phone reminders and auto-close computer communication apps at 4:30pm, auto-logout at 5:00pm. Record leave time and the reason I left when I did.
- Action(s): Stop current task. Close email and chat applications. Work on an easy task.
I've been up late working on projects or spending time with people. It's whatever.
- Trigger(s): Dinner.
- Action(s): Quit current activity. Pack clothes, books, and laptop for the next day. Brush teeth. Make a mug of tea. Log bedtime and the reason I went to bed when I did in journal. Read book in bed. Go to sleep.
I actually remembered to do this! I think that means incorporating financial review into my personal review was a good trigger. Plus, I have better insight when writing about my Financial Independence goal.
- Trigger(s): Personal Goals Review.
- Action(s): Update transaction log in Mint. Obtain high-level overview.
This got put on hold during our honeymoon. The display board still needs to be connected to the microcontroller for multiplexing testing, then I'll have to figure out how to add a Real Time Clock module.