- Relationships: This fortnight I got to know some new friends quite a bit better and reconnected with some old friends as well. I'm quite pleased.
- Career: I'm still working through Functional Programming in Scala by Paul Chiusano, and I hosted another JVM User Group. That's two months in a row now.
- Health and Longevity: Still not much progress. At least I've picked up work on my bikes again.
- Financial Independence: Not much to report here.
Leave Work on Time
I've collected the following data:
|2019-05-06||06:25:00 PM||I stayed late to finish an atomic unit of work|
|2019-05-07||06:40:00 PM||Kept doing easy “one more thing” tasks|
|2019-05-08||06:27:00 PM||Troubleshooting machine issue w/ helpdesk, prototyping redesign|
|2019-05-09||Waited for JVM User Group at office|
|2019-05-10||05:35:00 PM||Waiting for integration test results|
I can immediately see that I'm leaving the office about 1 hour later than I intend to leave. I began recording why I thought I was leaving late during week 2, so I don't have much data here, but it seems that I'm failing to leave because I crave some sense of resolution or the ego boost of an easy win. I'll collect more data this fortnight and give some thought to course of action.
- Trigger(s): Computer and phone reminders at 4:00pm, computer and phone reminders and auto-close computer communication apps at 4:30pm, auto-logout at 5:00pm. Record leave time and the reason I left when I did.
- Action(s): Stop current task. Close email and chat applications. Work on an easy task.
|Date||Bed Time||Overage (minutes)||Reason(s)|
|2019-04-29||10:00:00 PM||0||Waited up for Astral|
|2019-04-30||09:49:00 PM||-11||Late date night|
|2019-05-01||10:30:00 PM||30||Started dinner late, too much TV|
|2019-05-02||10:33:00 PM||33||Late dinner and baking|
I didn't do nearly as well collecting this data, and it's less instructive. I'll try again this coming fortnight. The meager time data I do have suggests I'm not too far from my target of 10:00pm, though.
- Trigger(s): Dinner.
- Action(s): Quit current activity. Pack clothes, books, and laptop for the next day. Brush teeth. Make a mug of tea. Log bedtime and the reason I went to bed when I did in journal. Read book in bed. Go to sleep.
We missed last week's financial review. We were still at a friend's house during our regularly scheduled thing and didn't think of it when we got home. I'm going to try incorporating this review into my personal goals review, as it's a better established, more ingrained, more rewarding habit at this point.
- Trigger(s): Personal Goals Review.
- Action(s): Update transaction log in Mint. Obtain high-level overview.
I finished attaching the components of the LED matrix and wrote about its design in Hardware BitClock: Part 1. Next week I'll attach the thing to a microcontroller and control it by software. I've also ordered a real-time clock module and might start experimenting with it.